Thursday, August 20, 2015

Last week at CIRSD - and Anja Jevic, a future Serbian leader?

During the last week of my internship I was lucky enough to coincide with the CIRSD Advanced Course on International Relations, which brought 30 young people from the region together for a very intensive week of lectures by an astoundingly broad range of fantastic and high-profile speakers.  My personal favourites were Alastair Crooke, who spoke in fascinating detail about the ideological heritage of ISIS, and Jared Genser, who has spent a large part of his career working tirelessly for prisoners of conscience, including Aung San Suu Kyi.

The CIRSD Team

The Class enjoys a lecture


But the part of the week that I enjoyed the most was being able to meet like-minded young people from Serbia, Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Bosnia and Croatia.  They all, without exception, had done interesting things, and helped me to explore new perspectives on the issues we explored, but right from the beginning one of them stood out for me as particularly impressive.  AnjaJevic’s questions were always very well formulated, and got right to the heart of the issue we were discussing.  And, more importantly, her openness and sense of humour endeared her to everyone.

I therefore asked if I could interview her for this blog.  Her story is, in some ways, similar to many young people born in the dying days of the former Yugoslavia, but her intellect and ambition set her apart from most.

The fabulous Anja!

Anja, now 25, was born in Bosnia, but came to Serbia before the start of the war.  This sort of story was very common—many people moved between the 6 ‘countries’ that made up Yugoslavia, and most had family or close friends spread across the region.  Her father was in the Yugoslav Army, and her early years were very peripatetic.  From the age of 6, however, she was very ambitious.  Her first love was tennis, and she was asked if she wanted to make it her life (as another Serb has recently done so successfully!), but—having seriously considered it—she decided that the expenses would be too much for her family.  She therefore threw herself into school, where she excelled from the beginning.  A star at maths and natural sciences, she was expected to do medicine.  However, as she grew older, she found that communicating was both something that she was very good at, and something that she particularly enjoyed.  She therefore chose the faculty of political science.  I asked her why.

Anja:  I reasoned that politics is something that requires a broad skillset, and a holistic approach.  I favour an international approach—cosmopolitanism and multilateralism are hugely important to be, both within politics and in the way that I live my life.  I’m not interested in monocultural situations, but love to work within a team, and to mediate between different viewpoints and different interest.

Katie:  What do you imagine yourself doing in 10 years time?

Anja:  While at university I read broadly about the roots of the conflict here, and other conflicts worldwide.  I also became very interested in the UN and in international mediation.  I ended up graduating as one of the top students in my class.  [She laughs].  I suppose you could say that I’m something of a perfectionist.  In the next few years my priorities are to travel, to perfect my English, and to gain exposure to as many organizations and viewpoints as a can.  I want to build a career in international relations, though I have no aspirations to join a political party within Serbia; I want to stay a little outside the party system and remain objective.  I’d like to engage with politics at the international level.

Katie:  Do you worry that things will be harder for you because you’re a woman?

Anja:  I’ve never felt disadvantaged because of my gender, but I have heard a number of stories from others.  I feel that Serbia has already done a lot to tackle this, although obviously we can do better.  Women should never feel that they are in a minority, or that their voices are in any way less important than men.  There needs to be better policies on maternity leave, so that we create a society where there are truly equal opportunities.  We need to create a world in which all careers are a level playing field for everyone.  Politics is a particular problem at the moment – there aren’t very many powerful women to act as good role models.

Katie:  Do you therefore see your future as being outside Serbia?

Anja:  Absolutely not!  I love my country and I think that there will increasingly be great opportunities here.  Twenty years after the war we still have major issues in this neighbourhood that can be obstacles for real growth.  Even though great progress has been made, we always need to keep in mind that only together can we find effective means and appropriate policies to improve the quality of life of every individual and to make a better future for everyone in this region. Serbia is also a country that is both very beautiful and very historic—growing up through the war and the tragedy of the 1999 bombing has made me very aware of that.  There are many things in our history that I am proud of, including WWI and WWII, when many Serbians gave their lives to secure victory over evil, intolerance and fascism.  Although I see myself as a global citizen, Serbia will always be my favourite country.  It’s a country that has amazing raw materials, including water, forests and hydro potential, and a very talented and educated population, but we have simply never found the opportunity to leverage them.  We’re also in a unique geopolitical position at the intersection of East and West, which offers both huge opportunities and huge challenges.  Serbia has never yet been able to take advantage of this in the way that Yugoslavia was, partly due to its size.  We need a really good neighborhood policy.  And we also need to invest in the young and in education.  We need the best possible people in top position.


And you know what, if Serbia can find even just a few more young people like Anja I think they’ll be just fine.


Anja and I

No comments:

Post a Comment